New Adventures in Responsive Web Design
April 4th, 2019, Kyiv
Vitaly Friedman loves beautiful content and does not give up easily. From Minsk in Belarus, he studied computer science and mathematics in Germany, discovered the passage a passion for typography, writing and design. After working as a freelance designer and developer for 6 years, he co-founded Smashing Magazine, a leading online magazine dedicated to design and web development. Vitaly is the author, co-author and editor of all Smashing books. He currently works developing the new Smashing Memberships around the globe!
With HTTP/2, Service Workers, Progressive Web Apps, Variable Fonts, CSS Custom Properties, Responsive Images, Flexbox, CSS Grid Layout, SVG, WAI-ARIA roles and Font Loading API now available in browsers, we all are still trying to figure out just the right strategy for designing and buildings responsive websites efficiently. We want to use all of these technologies and smart processes like atomic design, but how can we use them efficiently, and how do we achieve it within a reasonable amount of time?
In this workshop, Vitaly Friedman, co-founder and creative lead of Smashing Magazine, will be looking into a strategy for crafting fast, resilient and flexible solutions by utilizing all of those wonderful shiny web technologies we have available today. We'll also talk about dealing with legacy browsers and will cover a few dirty little techniques that might ensure that your responsive websites will stay relevant, flexible and accessible in the years to come. Beware: you won't be able to unlearn the things that you'll learn in the workshop!
This workshop is intended for frontend designers, developers and everybody else who is dealing with responsive design regularly or wants to better understand responsive design in general.
You should bring a laptop. There will be additional exercises and group activities to challenge the groups to work together.
THIS WORKSHOP WILL COVER:
- Component-based workflow and tooling;
- Architecting and building pattern libraries and design systems;
- Designing with Logic Fold using Custom Properties;
- Layout techniques (Flexbox and CSS Grid);
- Variable Fonts, and how to get started with them;
- CSS Houdini, and what it means for designers and developers;
- Image optimization techniques;
- Dealing with 3rd-party scripts using IntersectionObserver;
- Web font loading strategy and options;
- Utilizing Service Workers for caching and better performance;
- Performance optimization strategy (best practices + HTTP/2), including transition from HTTP to HTTPS;
- Maintenance issues and dealing with legacy browsers;
- Common front-end challenges and solutions.
We are offering to purchase training tickets separately or to buy a bandle training ticket + conference ticket with a discount
For any questions just send us email. Don't like to type? Then just call +38 066 9200839!